Getting ready to travel is full of awesome firsts. Buying the backpack, the plane ticket and booking your first hostel to name just a few. You can get lost in the excitement and forget the less than attractive loose ends you need to sort out.
I’ve been putting this off for weeks, always thinking I still have time. Now that I’m down to the business end of my trip planning with only 26 days left till I depart, its become apparent I don’t have time.
So to force myself into getting motivated I bring you my list of important things you need to ensure you have sorted before exiting the country via a great big metal bird.
Prescriptions and Doctor Visits
- Visit your GP and get a checkup. Its better to leave healthy and they will also advise you if you need any travel shots. Get any prescription’s sorted or take a letter from your GP so you have less issues abroad
- If like me you have poor eye sight. Go see your Optometrist and ensure your vision is spot on. Get a copy of your prescription so you can get more contact lenses or new glasses when needed
- It sucks but a trip to the Dentist is a good idea too. I hate going to the dentist now but it scares me even more to visit one that doesn’t speak my language. Oh and nobody wants a tooth ache bringing you down
- Are there any other doctors or medical professionals you see
Bills and Renewals
- First up get a redirection on your mail to a reliable person (Hi Mum). You’d hate to have the debt collector freezing your travel fund because you didn’t get the bill to pay that overdue library fee
- Convert any bills you can’t cancel to online versions. This saves your reliable mail person having to deal with too much and you can be sure to stay on top of your finances. Not to mention saving a tree or two’s worth of paper
- Cancel any accounts you have. Your travelling so that magazine subscription is pointless, oh and I’m pretty sure that book club doesn’t ship to Egypt so cut it too
- Do you have a driver’s licence? Will it expire while your travelling the world. Photo ID could be useful but not when it’s expired
- Do your credit cards expire a month after you leave? Check with you bank about renewing them early. Loosing one abroad is painful but it happens. Forgetting to renew before you leave is just making your own life difficult
- Cancel your local phone contract, it might not be possible but try for a lower plan. International phone plans are expensive for long term travel just grab a local sim for the country your in and save a fortune
- Contents Insurance, Health Insurance, Car Insurance do you need these? If not dump them as they only eat into your travel fund
Change of Address
Getting your mail redirected is a start but some people need an address or need to know your overseas.
- Most of us still have to vote even while abroad. Make sure your government knows that your seeing the world
- Banks love to know everything including what we had for breakfast. Telling them when your overseas stops them from putting a stop on your credit card too
- If you still have insurance be sure to keep them in the loop on your location
- Any form’s of licence should be changed like Drivers Licence etc
You may have more or less on your list, this is just the beginning of mine I’m sure its going to grow. The best advice I can offer is comb over your pile of paperwork you call important and check off everything.
Leaving for an extended RTW trip is like planning to move house just way way cooler. Have I missed something? Then let me know you may save a fellow traveller from forgetting something.