Australia Day is upon us so I think its important any future traveler knows what to expect on this great day of days. Held on the 26th of January each year, the day commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove in 1788. Basically the day the British landed and claimed the country as their own.
We Australian’s are rather proud of our little country so you will find that we celebrate rather enthusiastically. You can expect to notice/partake in the following if you happen to find yourself in Australia on this day of days:
- Copious amounts of beer will be consumed from as early as breakfast
- As beer intake grows singing of nation anthem and all other Australian related songs will occur
- You will see people wearing the Aussie flag as a cape, dress, shirt etc
- The radio will blast out the Triple J Hottest 100 songs as voted by the public
- There will be fireworks
- You will be required to only consume food cooked on the BBQ, lamb being the preferred meat
- You can also expect to find parties in every backyard or park BBQ area.
This is just a beginners guide to celebrating Australia Day. Once you find yourself surrounded by proud Aussies anything is likely to happen and probably will. My advice is to go with it. Grab yourself a beer, sing along to the tunes and celebrate the fact you have found yourself in Australia during the summer.
If you find yourself in Sydney for Australia Day you could try some of these Sydney Hotels on LateRooms if your budget is more than a hostel.