What do you do when your trip plans get fed through the shredder? This is the exact problem I faced when my brother called today informing me his wedding is going to be in October of this year. The problem you ask, well I leave for Europe in June and wasn’t intending on coming home for well over 12 months.
My family is very close so there is very little chance of me not making it to my little brothers wedding, especially if I get the nod to be in the bridal party (which I so better get, you hear my little brother). After some discussions with family I have the following options laid out before me:
- Delay my trip till after his wedding. Continue on with the status quo and possibly drive myself crazy at work and wear out my welcome crashing at my sister’s house. Oh and miss summer in Europe. (Less than Ideal)
- Continue as planned leaving in June and skip little brothers wedding. This is sure to lead to family not speaking to me ever again and possible disownment. (Likely to score a free castration as well)
- Take trip as planned but cash in my life insurance policy to cover flights to and from home in October to attend brother’s funeral wedding. (Meh I won’t be around to deal with the costs of me not breathing and will no doubt cash it in eventually)
- Take 5k loan from parents so that I can leave early on the proviso that I return for a month in October for wedding and catching up. Thus allowing me to find work sooner in the UK to help cover costs of flying home in October. (Winner winner chicken dinner)
Now looking at that list number 4 is the obvious winner. I’m almost 100% sold on the idea to be honest. The only reason I had planned to stay until June was a financial one. Having the extra money would mean I could leave at the beginning of May (maybe earlier) instead of the planned late June original departure date. Thus allowing for my planned 2-3 months of travel debauchery, followed by 2-3 months of working as a who knows what in London.
Obviously this creates some stress in my current stress free travel philosophy. Until this point it has been pretty much smooth sailing, I guess I was due for a nose dive. There will be some quick shuffling of the time line of applying for visa’s, booking flights and backpack etc but really one solid week of organising can roll all that over… right?
So I ask you my readers, my friends, my lovers do I take the money and run or shall I hang around and battle the travel demons a little longer?